Skip to main content

LNY Fashion Show 2016 Recap

Hi Everyone! With Spring Break over, I wanted to take the time to recap 6100 Main’s flagship event, the Lunar New Year Fashion Show. This year’s show was my first and what an amazing experience it was. Dare I say it was the best one yet. The theme was ROY.G.BIV, a play on the colors of the rainbow where each outfit accentuated a particular color against a black backdrop. It was intended to be simple and modern with a sizable injection of traditional elements. The show could have been too simple – boring even – and it didn’t turn out that way at all. Personally, I thought there was a great fusion of modern and traditional elements and a balance of formal and daily wear. Last year’s show aimed to promote the blog as well as elevate the fashion of the student body as a whole, and I believe we did that again here.  Simply put, I thought it was fab. And I hope you think so too. 

We had the models walk in order of color so red went out first, then orange, etc. Each outfit was contrasted by the next – as one was modern, the other being traditional. Take a gander please.

**For all the models not featured here, we apologize in advance as we don’t have the pictures! L **


One of the most interesting things I found looking back at the photos was how well some of the current trends in fashion have shown up in the traditional wear. The traditional red dress Rachel Ngo wears has a halter neck which has been a major trend for a while now, just as the thigh split of the male model here. (Kudos to him for wearing heels better than some of us females–we are all impressed) Trends really do come back guys. Maybe I won’t throw away my Baby G watch after all. Who needs a Daniel Wellington? 




















While all of the outfits were great, one of my favorite outfits in this show was Thu’s. I love that she wore a pair of oversized men’s hanbok pants and styled them like the high-waisted wide-legged trousers we've been seeing in stores for a while now. From afar, they looked like paper bag high waisted silk pants, only with a traditional print. I especially loved the pairing of the pants with the long sleeved black crop top – it was simple yet totally modern at the same time. Would wear. 








Last, but not least, the finale dresses - made by Thu Nguyen herself and Cindy Nguyen. The two dresses were variations on a shift dress with artistic swipes of rainbows across the front. Shift dresses have been in for a while now and are one of my favorite dress silhouettes, so I especially loved the dresses Thu designed. It's a shame we don't have a picture of the backs - the cutout was so chic (and a little sexy wink wink). 



A note from the designer herself:
The closing pieces are projects intended to work my sewing skills and hand at design. To fit with the theme this year, I knew I wanted to make black dresses, then somehow add color - all the colors - to them. My inspiration simply came from a lack of shift dresses in my personal closet. Every fashion blogger will agree that a shift dress is your fast pass to looking put together in under thirty seconds. It became a challenge to myself to make dresses that rival ones sold in the malls: a structured t-shirt dress, and a drop shoulder dress. Unfortunately, there were no pictures, but the drop shoulder dress on Kaysie Tam had a (accidentally) wide v-back opening, kept classy with a strap across the shoulders. The idea was that I would keep this dress for any sort of formal occasion, and it would be a little daring but still posh. Once the dresses were finished, I handed them over to Cindy Nguyen, artist and literal twin of mine, to paint on the designs. Her taste and mine go hand in hand, so I knew she would enjoy this task. Gradient was the best way to go, in order to have a rainbow of colors without looking too tacky, and the patterns she came up with were simply from playing around with her brushes. The end products were better than I could have ever imagined (we were sewing and painting up until the show!) and, yes, I am contemplating on possibly marketing similar dresses in the future, if the demand is high enough... 

SIGN ME UP PLS ^^

All in all, this year's show was a huge success. Thank you to the audience for the endless cheers and applause - you make it worthwhile. Thanks for Thu for coordinating everything so flawlessly, and to the stylists - Thu Nguyen, myself, Joanne Shin, Kunal Shah, and Danielle Manahan. With Jessie Chan on our team, we were able to do some pretty dramatic and colorful looks, raising the standard for next year. Thank you for reading and we hope to see you again at the show next year! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Louis Vuitton Logos Are Obnoxious But So Are Their Haters

My first op-ed here was about luxury brands and fast fashion. I didn't know it at the time, but the term I needed, and what I was really advocating for, was slow fashion - good, conscientious fashion, which also happens to be generally pricer.  One of my best friends, Linh, sent me a Washington Post article about Louis Vuitton and Gucci falling behind in sales, sinking into trouble because their extremely well known logos are stamped everywhere for everyone to see. Literally, the LV and GG are made to be the equivalent of a neon sign hanging over the bearer's head screaming "I spent $600 on this thin, silk, scarf!!" (that is about to get caught in a bush!!! or drooled on by a baby!!) But there are two sides to the story, and I would like to share my empathy for Louis Vuitton (and Gucci, and Prada - yes, the great, blessed, Prada is also facing this trouble) but also point out how this new "no logo" trend fits in nicely with slow fashion and could also d

Michael Awalt

Name: Michael Awalt College: Hanszen '16 Major: Architecture  Favorite Decade: I don't try to find inspiration from the past, but if I could pick one, it would probably be the 80s. The 80s seem awesome. #1 Fashion Do:  "Guys, the best rule of thumb for what you are wearing is to have one truly bold item per outfit - nothing more. Don't make your outfit a competition within itself. If you're looking to add color, try a vibrant solid color shirt with a pair of black, white, gray, or dark wash jeans. Another way to add color is through pants. Many stores are starting to carry colored denim now and the variety is endless. Don't cop-out on the color though-- get something bright and vibrant. Be sure to wear something very subtle with the pants though, and don't be too coordinated with the pants or its starts too look tacky. And don't get orange pants. Just don't." #1 Fashion Don't:  Those toe-shoe things. What the hell are p

Most Loved Pieces This Fall

HI everyone! Now that we're starting our second round of midterms and well into the Fall Semester, Thu and I thought we would share some of our most loved trends this fall. Except Houston's weather is so warm it's still basically summer... Hope you enjoy! Julia I've gotten really into structured and oversized fits this season, so this is pretty much the epitome of that. I love to pair oversized pieces with even more oversized ones, just so I can get that lewk without trying much at all. These pieces are all pretty minimal, so if you see me around campus I'll probably be in at least one of these pieces here. Coincidentally, the whole outfit is from Aritzia - I highly recommend checking their website out!  - but culottes and oversized tops are so on trend now, I'm pretty sure you can find similar pieces at H&M, Zara and even Forever21. Jacket: Aritzia ( here ) | Blouse: Aritzia ( here ) | Culottes: Aritzia ( here ) | Shoes: Sam Edel