Skip to main content

Unconventional Alumni: Deanne Nguyen, Fashion Inspiration

Hopefully through this blog, you have been able to realize that our student body can be pretty fashionable when we want to be (every day or for the job fair once a semester.) But among us, how many have a hidden dream of joining the fashion industry? Which of us CompSci, Busi, Chbe, Engl, Chem, etc. majors secretly ache to also major in Fashion? But have set aside our dreams of designing and styling for our greater dreams of leading and saving the [non-fashion] world? A lot of people imagine Rice students to graduate into engineering, law, and medicine jobs/schools. As much as the majority of us fit this stereotype, there will be some who continue 'unconventional' and enter fields not spoken about on campus. 

I am honored and pleased to introduce to you all one of these unconventional people, Will Rice '11, Deanne Nguyen! She graduated with a linguistics background and currently works in Seoul, South Korea with a news agency but, most importantly, is the co-founder and creative director of Adroit Fashion Media, a Seoul based fashion production and consulting company. She also writes fashion and shopping pieces for Seoul Magazine (as she did for the Thresher during her time at Rice!) 



In one of her old Thresher columns from 2009, Deanne shares her realization that there are fashionable people on campus! Though the Rice fashion crowd was near nonexistent, Deanne had high hopes for our future, saying that "yes we can [be fashionable]! Fashion inside the hedges isn't a hopeless cause." (view article here) Six years after this post was written, I am extremely pleased to share with her this blog and the growing fashion community at Rice. Her prediction is being actualized, and we will continue to work hard and make it known that Rice is a fashionable community (except for during finals period.) Below is the interview I had a privilege of getting with Deanne; by sharing her story with you all, I hope that she can also become an inspiration for our readers, the 6100 Main team, and any one else who has a passion unrelated to their major. 



[T] Did you know that you wanted to work in fashion when you entered college?
[D] No, I think I declared my love around Sophomore year, which carried me through till the end of graduation, but then came years of distancing myself from the idea and second-guessing myself. Long story short, I've come full circle and am again tenacious, though with a different perspective on what I want to pursue with fashion, which is design. 
[T] I've read the fashion columns you wrote for the Thresher, and they're really insightful for Rice students quickly skimming the paper. How did you balance this weekly column with your course load (and other extracirricular activites?)
[D] Oh goodness, you have? I'm sorry haha! I think my writing's come a long way since then, I used to write for a magazine for a year about shopping and fashion here in Seoul, so I can't even fathom my old work. I remember it being difficult and balance was a great facade then; sometimes I'd have to forgo the column for weeks at a time. So...you could say I didn't haha. 



[T] What is your go-to outfit for those days you roll out of bed late but still want to look put together?
[D] Back then, I didn't have one, which was a huge issue and kind of hilariously obnoxious. I'd come up with these ridiculous outfits and if I wasn't pleased, I'd skip class. Yeah don't do that. 
Currently however, I've become far more relaxed, embracing the sweet safety of a uniform as there are things to be done and getting dressed must be focused and efficient. I find that coordinated separates work well for me: an oversized or stylized top paired with either a pencil skirt or some trousers with brogues are the winners of late. Color-wize, I go for neutrals (blacks, greys, beiges, whites, navys) with some texture and maybe a pop of color in a scarf, socks or a fur stole. 
[T] How fashionable did you think Rice was when you first arrived? What about when you graduated?
[D] I thought it was meh, but then I slowly realized there were so many fashion advocates, especially my senior year when I taught a fashion and personal style class. They just weren't as voracious about it being a central part of their identity as I was. Most had higher callings and I see that now more than ever. I definitely think more highly of it now and wished I'd realized sooner how diverse and lovely our campus' style was just as it is. I wonder what its like now...
[T] Could you give some words of encouragement to students who want to try out new/different trends but are too afraid to be too 'weird' or 'dressy' on campus? 
[D] Oh this an easy one: borrow. From my experience, taking the plunge into unknown territory is much easier on someone else's dime or experience. Borrow from fashion-y friends or have them style you for fun and see what you can become in those new pieces. 
[T] How did you survive the trek around campus in heels? 
[D] It's all in the hips! ;)

Deanne, thank you so much for your immediate response on Twitter and for giving me your time for this interview! I wish you the best of luck with your new brand and future designs! I hope to be able to buy a piece from you when you debut. 

Also, I would like to thank Megan Chang for introducing me to Deanne! 

images taken from: 
http://adroitfashionmedia.com/

view more of Deanne's work here:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Louis Vuitton Logos Are Obnoxious But So Are Their Haters

My first op-ed here was about luxury brands and fast fashion. I didn't know it at the time, but the term I needed, and what I was really advocating for, was slow fashion - good, conscientious fashion, which also happens to be generally pricer.  One of my best friends, Linh, sent me a Washington Post article about Louis Vuitton and Gucci falling behind in sales, sinking into trouble because their extremely well known logos are stamped everywhere for everyone to see. Literally, the LV and GG are made to be the equivalent of a neon sign hanging over the bearer's head screaming "I spent $600 on this thin, silk, scarf!!" (that is about to get caught in a bush!!! or drooled on by a baby!!) But there are two sides to the story, and I would like to share my empathy for Louis Vuitton (and Gucci, and Prada - yes, the great, blessed, Prada is also facing this trouble) but also point out how this new "no logo" trend fits in nicely with slow fashion and could also d

Most Loved Pieces This Fall

HI everyone! Now that we're starting our second round of midterms and well into the Fall Semester, Thu and I thought we would share some of our most loved trends this fall. Except Houston's weather is so warm it's still basically summer... Hope you enjoy! Julia I've gotten really into structured and oversized fits this season, so this is pretty much the epitome of that. I love to pair oversized pieces with even more oversized ones, just so I can get that lewk without trying much at all. These pieces are all pretty minimal, so if you see me around campus I'll probably be in at least one of these pieces here. Coincidentally, the whole outfit is from Aritzia - I highly recommend checking their website out!  - but culottes and oversized tops are so on trend now, I'm pretty sure you can find similar pieces at H&M, Zara and even Forever21. Jacket: Aritzia ( here ) | Blouse: Aritzia ( here ) | Culottes: Aritzia ( here ) | Shoes: Sam Edel

Michael Awalt

Name: Michael Awalt College: Hanszen '16 Major: Architecture  Favorite Decade: I don't try to find inspiration from the past, but if I could pick one, it would probably be the 80s. The 80s seem awesome. #1 Fashion Do:  "Guys, the best rule of thumb for what you are wearing is to have one truly bold item per outfit - nothing more. Don't make your outfit a competition within itself. If you're looking to add color, try a vibrant solid color shirt with a pair of black, white, gray, or dark wash jeans. Another way to add color is through pants. Many stores are starting to carry colored denim now and the variety is endless. Don't cop-out on the color though-- get something bright and vibrant. Be sure to wear something very subtle with the pants though, and don't be too coordinated with the pants or its starts too look tacky. And don't get orange pants. Just don't." #1 Fashion Don't:  Those toe-shoe things. What the hell are p