Skip to main content

Bela Berdaska



 

Name: Bella Berdaska 
College: Wiess ('14, Exchange Student from SciencePo Paris)
Major: Political Sciences

How would you say your background has influenced your sense of style? I come from a very diverse background. I was born in Bulgaria, raised in Brussels, studied in Paris. So its a combination of refined and casual. Its not a single style, but a mixture of styles.

How has your style changed since you arrived here on campus? Back at home I would dress up mainly for Galas and Balls, I would keep each of my dresses as a form of souvenir from each of the events I have been to. Life at home called for a wardrobe very different than life here on campus.

Also, the weather in Europe can get really cold. It doesn't really compare to weather here in Texas, where I’ve been wearing shorts for the past month and a half. I feel I can’t quite express my style here, yet. Here, it is always shorts or dresses.



What have been your favorite items or pieces of clothing? I have a few jackets that I found at thrift shops in Brussels. I have this leather jacket with metal pieces on it and it is my favorite, as well at a denim jacket; and I like to borrow - not steal, borrow for a
long time - my mother’s navy cashmere coat.


How do you prioritize a piece's comfort against its style? Comfort comes first. Although I’ve worn dresses that were NOT comfortable. Corset and all.

What do you think is different or peculiar about shopping in the States? American sizes. Oh, and Victoria’s Secret.


Photographed by Noah Alden Hardaway

Interviewed by Kunal Shah







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Louis Vuitton Logos Are Obnoxious But So Are Their Haters

My first op-ed here was about luxury brands and fast fashion. I didn't know it at the time, but the term I needed, and what I was really advocating for, was slow fashion - good, conscientious fashion, which also happens to be generally pricer.  One of my best friends, Linh, sent me a Washington Post article about Louis Vuitton and Gucci falling behind in sales, sinking into trouble because their extremely well known logos are stamped everywhere for everyone to see. Literally, the LV and GG are made to be the equivalent of a neon sign hanging over the bearer's head screaming "I spent $600 on this thin, silk, scarf!!" (that is about to get caught in a bush!!! or drooled on by a baby!!) But there are two sides to the story, and I would like to share my empathy for Louis Vuitton (and Gucci, and Prada - yes, the great, blessed, Prada is also facing this trouble) but also point out how this new "no logo" trend fits in nicely with slow fashion and could also d

Most Loved Pieces This Fall

HI everyone! Now that we're starting our second round of midterms and well into the Fall Semester, Thu and I thought we would share some of our most loved trends this fall. Except Houston's weather is so warm it's still basically summer... Hope you enjoy! Julia I've gotten really into structured and oversized fits this season, so this is pretty much the epitome of that. I love to pair oversized pieces with even more oversized ones, just so I can get that lewk without trying much at all. These pieces are all pretty minimal, so if you see me around campus I'll probably be in at least one of these pieces here. Coincidentally, the whole outfit is from Aritzia - I highly recommend checking their website out!  - but culottes and oversized tops are so on trend now, I'm pretty sure you can find similar pieces at H&M, Zara and even Forever21. Jacket: Aritzia ( here ) | Blouse: Aritzia ( here ) | Culottes: Aritzia ( here ) | Shoes: Sam Edel

Michael Awalt

Name: Michael Awalt College: Hanszen '16 Major: Architecture  Favorite Decade: I don't try to find inspiration from the past, but if I could pick one, it would probably be the 80s. The 80s seem awesome. #1 Fashion Do:  "Guys, the best rule of thumb for what you are wearing is to have one truly bold item per outfit - nothing more. Don't make your outfit a competition within itself. If you're looking to add color, try a vibrant solid color shirt with a pair of black, white, gray, or dark wash jeans. Another way to add color is through pants. Many stores are starting to carry colored denim now and the variety is endless. Don't cop-out on the color though-- get something bright and vibrant. Be sure to wear something very subtle with the pants though, and don't be too coordinated with the pants or its starts too look tacky. And don't get orange pants. Just don't." #1 Fashion Don't:  Those toe-shoe things. What the hell are p