Skip to main content

Makeup Application 101: A Step-by-Step Guide

Hi everyone! My name’s Alessandra - but you can call me Ali - and I am very excited for my first post. As part of the 6100 Main team, I look forward to reviewing products, answering questions, creating tutorials and guides, and sharing new looks and trends.

So, I know what you're thinking: "6100 Main is a fashion blog. Why are you telling me how to put on makeup?"  Well, just like there are new clothing trends, there are always new products and looks going in and out of style. Long before we all started following fashion, however, we had to learn how to put on clothes in the first place. It sounds silly, but makeup works the same way. You have to know what you're doing before you can really start getting creative.
This is how I picture everyone would dress
if we didn't understand how the dressing process worked.
Many students say they would wear makeup, but they don’t know where to start.  I figured sharing the order of application of makeup would be a good starting point, or foundation for us (ha, get it? Like FOUNDATION. No? It’s alright, we’ll get there).

I almost always start with face and then move to eyes. Some people like to do eyes first then go to face. It’s personal preference. Lips usually come last though.

Stay tuned for my recommended products and brushes!

Step 0:
WASH YOUR HANDS AND FACE.
Your skin will thank you. 

FACE

Step 1: Primer – the underwear of cosmetics. It smooths out your skin, minimizes pores, reduces shine, and makes your makeup look more natural and stay on longer.

Step 2: Concealer - comes in solid and liquid forms, great for red spots, dark under eye circles, or scars.

Step 3: Liquid Foundation/Tinted Moisturizer/BB Cream/Optional

Step 4: Contours – highlights and shadows. If you’re brand new to make up, you should skip this step. Contouring is not for the faint of heart.
Say what you will about Kim, but the girl (or, more likely, her makeup artist) knows how to contour. 

Step 5: Blush - Normally, I tend to put a fairly generous amount of blush on and then tone it down and blend it with the powder foundation (Step 6). Another option is to skip ahead to the powder and then brush a lighter amount of blush on to the apples of your cheeks.

Step 6: Powder foundation - If you want the dewy look, you can just go straight to finishing powder (step 7) or no powder at all. You can also go with just a powder foundation and skip the liquids.

Step 7: Finishing powder – makes everything stay put and last longer. Can also be used after eye shadow application to sweep up fallout.

EYES

Step 1: Eyelid Primer - stops shadow from creasing or fading

Step 2: Eye Shadow - Normally, lighter colors usually go in the inner part of your eyelid and right below your brow. Medium shades are used for the crease and middle of eyelid. Your darkest shadows go on the outside. These are guidelines and suggestions, not commandments - have fun with it. I could go on for hours, but instead, I'll leave these diagrams here.



Step 3: Liner
Apply along the lash line

Step 4: Mascara

Step 5: Fill in Eyebrows if necessary


LIPS

Step 1: Exfoliate with lip scrub

Step 2: Lip primer

Step 3: Lip Liner

Step 4: Color application



This was going to be a much more extensive post with suggestions and tips, but it was becoming a 26 page manifesto and it would be a lot for you make up n00bz out there.

Like I said, stay tuned for more of my future posts and if you have any questions, feel free to comment or email me at agp4@rice.edu.

Stay gorgeous xoxo,
Ali


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Louis Vuitton Logos Are Obnoxious But So Are Their Haters

My first op-ed here was about luxury brands and fast fashion. I didn't know it at the time, but the term I needed, and what I was really advocating for, was slow fashion - good, conscientious fashion, which also happens to be generally pricer.  One of my best friends, Linh, sent me a Washington Post article about Louis Vuitton and Gucci falling behind in sales, sinking into trouble because their extremely well known logos are stamped everywhere for everyone to see. Literally, the LV and GG are made to be the equivalent of a neon sign hanging over the bearer's head screaming "I spent $600 on this thin, silk, scarf!!" (that is about to get caught in a bush!!! or drooled on by a baby!!) But there are two sides to the story, and I would like to share my empathy for Louis Vuitton (and Gucci, and Prada - yes, the great, blessed, Prada is also facing this trouble) but also point out how this new "no logo" trend fits in nicely with slow fashion and could also d

Michael Awalt

Name: Michael Awalt College: Hanszen '16 Major: Architecture  Favorite Decade: I don't try to find inspiration from the past, but if I could pick one, it would probably be the 80s. The 80s seem awesome. #1 Fashion Do:  "Guys, the best rule of thumb for what you are wearing is to have one truly bold item per outfit - nothing more. Don't make your outfit a competition within itself. If you're looking to add color, try a vibrant solid color shirt with a pair of black, white, gray, or dark wash jeans. Another way to add color is through pants. Many stores are starting to carry colored denim now and the variety is endless. Don't cop-out on the color though-- get something bright and vibrant. Be sure to wear something very subtle with the pants though, and don't be too coordinated with the pants or its starts too look tacky. And don't get orange pants. Just don't." #1 Fashion Don't:  Those toe-shoe things. What the hell are p

Most Loved Pieces This Fall

HI everyone! Now that we're starting our second round of midterms and well into the Fall Semester, Thu and I thought we would share some of our most loved trends this fall. Except Houston's weather is so warm it's still basically summer... Hope you enjoy! Julia I've gotten really into structured and oversized fits this season, so this is pretty much the epitome of that. I love to pair oversized pieces with even more oversized ones, just so I can get that lewk without trying much at all. These pieces are all pretty minimal, so if you see me around campus I'll probably be in at least one of these pieces here. Coincidentally, the whole outfit is from Aritzia - I highly recommend checking their website out!  - but culottes and oversized tops are so on trend now, I'm pretty sure you can find similar pieces at H&M, Zara and even Forever21. Jacket: Aritzia ( here ) | Blouse: Aritzia ( here ) | Culottes: Aritzia ( here ) | Shoes: Sam Edel